Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Getting settled in

It doesn't feel like I've been in Taiwan only a month, but much, much longer. I've been at my place for almost a week, but I still didn't fully unpack until two nights ago. My dad helped purchase a few more things to make the place feel more like home, like a few pots and pans, silverware, and a rice cooker. I also got a foam overlay mattress that makes the bed a bit more tolerable, instead of how rock hard it is now. I'm finally getting settled in to my new place, and starting to explore my neighborhood a bit.

As far as activities are concerned, there's a night market near by with a lot street food that I'm sure I'll be eating at a frequent basis, and again, the MRT stations are not more than a 10 minute walk from my place, so the whole city is easily accessible (hint, hint, for friends to visit). I also went to an expat sports bar and met some nice folks out there, some that had just moved here like me, others who had been here for years. I even made a job contact with a Scottish fellow who runs his own high tech company, so my job skills may be of use to him. I'm still hoping that the AMD job comes through, even if I do have to wait a few weeks.

I leave for Korea on Thursday, but it looks like I'll be going solo. My friend Jason in Japan had to back out since he wasn't able to book the flight at the cheap price he was seeing, and my other friend Jason couldn't justify missing the studying time he needs for the GMAT to take an international trip to see his favorite UT volleyball player play in Korea. Thankfully I still have ex coworkers I can meet up with to show me around! With that, I'm off to bed since it's past 3am, and I have a busy day with laundry, packing for Korea, and a date with a girl I met at the expat bar. Ciao!

Oh yeah, Happy Texas Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment