Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Changing Seasons

Ah, fall is finally upon us here in Taiwan! That means I don't need to take a shower two times a day and its cold enough to where I don't need to turn on the AC. In many aspects, Taiwan winters don't differ from Austin, or Texas for that matter. One aspect that is different is the humidity. While cold, dry Canadian air blows southward, the cold air from China still has to cross over some ocean, so it picks up humidity and dumps it in Taiwan.

Hot or cold, humidity and I just don't mix. Yes, I won't be sweating very much, but when I do, it'll still be miserable and take forever for the sweat to dry off. At least now I can expand my wardrobe and dress in some long sleeves without excessively sweating. For now, the weather has been perfect. Highs in the mid 70's lows in the mid 60's. It's funny seeing Taiwanese adjust their clothing to the temperature change. I first noticed this when I visited Taiwan in the winter time for the first time back in the late 90's. Anytime the weather dropped below 70, the locals bundle up in their thickest winter coats, like the ones you go skiing in, all for 69 degree weather. I would often get exasperated stares when I wore khaki shorts and a polo because they assumed I was crazy and would freeze to death. I don't know how many times I had to tell my extended family that no, I was not cold. In fact, could they turn on the fan and point it in my direction? It's really easy to spot a foreigner in the winter time, just look for the ones wearing what normal people in the US wear at 75 degrees.

In other news, my friend Nicole paid me a visit this past weekend from Texas! Even though I just saw her not more than a month ago, it was still nice to play host and have some familiar Texan company. She flew in on a Friday afternoon from Hong Kong and left this past Monday for Beijing. I went to more touristy/site-seeing places in those two days than I have the entire time I've been here in Taiwan, and packed in a good amount of fun. Thanks for stopping by Nicole!

I didn't get my afternoon nap at work today, so I'm getting groggy as I write. Until next time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment