Thursday, November 4, 2010

Writing as a profession

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but most of that is read and self taught, not natural intelligence where someone picks it up and automatically gets it. In that same mold, I'm not terribly creative. I'm a creature of habit, going back to the same tried and true things over and over. Very rarely do I stray outside my comfort zone, and when I do, it's usually in the company of friends and family, so there's always a semblance of support nearby.

Where am I going with all this you ask? I think one cannot truly realize their maximum potential unless they are put into a situation where they are forced to survive, beit physically or fiscally. Someone I once met told me when you being able to afford to eat depends on you being able to sell something, don't just think you can, you'd better be damn sure you can lest you starve. Which brings me to my current state of mind. Having never done writing for a paycheck before, I have a newfound respect for journalists and bloggers alike. While I am fortunate that I'm writing on topics that interest me for the most part, there is the occasional bit of writer's block where I just don't have the creativity to come up with a coherent thought. Sometimes all that's needed is a refresh in scenery, instead of being chained to a desk with a computer. To the other writers out there, what other tricks do you have to overcome your occasional lapse in thought?

1 comment:

  1. If the issue is just one of concentration, I usually need to get somewhere with just the right amount of distraction. Too little distraction and my mind wanders - too much is an obvious problem. In the US, coffee shops tend to have too many people going in and out, but diners have a slower table-rotation and help me concentrate a bit more, usually. Libraries are far too quiet. Showers are very useful for me, as the constant sound and tactile sensation from the water help me focus more than most anything else.

    If the issue is one of creativity, you need to get out and see new things so you can think in different ways. Go on walks, go sit somewhere and people watch, watch a movie you've never seen, read a bit of philosophy, etc.

    ReplyDelete