Saturday, November 12, 2011

An exercise in happiness

For this exercise, you might find it helpful to write it down or type it out. I find that it's easier, plus it'll keep a record of things you have already stated in the past.


To start, think back to yesterday, and remember something that made you smile. For me, it was talking to some friends back in Texas, and one had remembered a favor I asked of him about 5 months ago. The favor had languished in my mind, as it was not really important and wouldn't be affecting me until I met up with him in November (next week!!!), but now I could get it on my own when I head back in February. Nonetheless, the sentiment was greatly appreciated.


Next, think back to last week and remember something that made you smile or happy. Thinking back, it had to be Saturday, where I got to witness my coworker get married, then attending a BBQ with friends, and introducing what true southern BBQ is supposed to be like.


Moving on, this time to last month (October). Hands down, the last minute visit from my brother before he moved back to the States. My brother, father and myself went driving through Taiwan and stayed a night on top of a mountain, where we conversed, ate and drank some delicious 18 year old scotch. It was a father/son bonding experience that was never there growing up, and one that I'll cherish forever.


Now we get to the hard part, and skip years. Last year (November, 2010). I finally started getting in to my groove with meeting new people, and was introduced to a fantastic group of people at a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner right in the heart of Taipei. The night and the view is something I'll never forget.


Even tougher now, last decade (November, 2000). At the time, college was in full swing and my life revolved around the Longhorn Band, as I was on the Big Bertha Crew and my girlfriend at the time was marching in the LHB. The annual football game with the Aggies was still played on Thanksgiving Day, where we beat them 43-17 that year (I had to look that one up) and went on to lose to the Oregon Ducks in the Holiday Bowl. Since my girlfriend was from out of state and I didn't want to drive down to Houston, we spent it with others who happened to not be with family that day. It was a great time and a great meal had by all the wonderful people that attended.

This exercise is meant to help us remind us of those memories that have settled to the bottoms of our brains, along with so many others. However, in raising these memories, we also disturb those around it, much like sand on the bottom of the ocean, that we can use for the exercise next time. If you try this exercise I'd love to read what happy memories you dig up!

No comments:

Post a Comment