Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ringing in CNY with the Mom's side

I'm writing today's blog from my uncle's place in Banqiao, where I attended a family lunch and dinner with my mom's side of the family, and am staying the night to spend tomorrow going shopping with my aunt (I think?). Now, while it's only been 5 years since my last visit to Taiwan, it's my first CNY here since I was the ripe old age of 5. So that's almost 25 years of not experiencing a CNY in the homeland, and let me tell ya, it was damn fun. My mom's whole side of the family gathered to celebrate, coming from various parts of Taiwan to visit. My mom was the oldest of 7, only one of which was a boy, so that means a lot of aunts to ask if I have a girlfriend or not. I told them they shouldn't be asking if I have a girlfriend, but rather when my brother is going to have kids :) Even though I'm almost 30, I'm still considered "young" because I'm single and am still given a hongbao (red packet) I'm not going to turn it down, as it would be rude to, but it does feel awkward to still be receiving gifts at my age.

Lunch was at a restaurant that featured a karaoke set in the private room we reserved, and listening to my aunts and cousins croon out Asians hits was hilarious. My aunts doing background dancing to one of the songs was a nice touch as well. The lunch was delicious as well, and I think we had 8 or so courses, but I won't tease you with all the food pics, mainly because I didn't take any.

After lunch, we all head back to my uncle's place and were somehow able to cram 16 of us in that tiny place. Over the next few hours, we gambled to throwing dice in a cup and putting bets on what numbers would show up. Think of a poor man's version of craps. Everyone played, including the same 10 year old female cousin who told the joke, and all my aunts and most of my cousins. It. was. a riot. Fun times indeed. Eventually dinner rolled around and we all ate wherever we could find space, since obviously we can't cram 16 people around a small little table suited for 6.

And now, I'm headed to bed, as it's past 1:30am here, and I've got a full day of walking around with my aunt tomorrow. Let's hope that the rain stops so we'll actually make it out. Xin nian kuai le!

No comments:

Post a Comment